RSS Guard is a simple (yet powerful) feed reader. It is able to fetch the most known feed formats, including RSS/RDF and ATOM. It’s free, it’s open-source. RSS Guard currently supports Czech, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian. RSS Guard will never depend on other services – this includes online news aggregators like Feedly, The Old Reader and others.
RSS Guard is developed on top of the Qt library and it supports these operating systems:
- OS/2 (eComStation)
- Mac OS X
- xBSD (possibly)
- Android (possibly)
- other platforms supported by Qt
The core features of RSS Guard are:
- support for online feed synchronization via plugins,
- Tiny Tiny RSS (from RSS Guard 3.0.0).
- support for all feed formats,
- import/export of feeds to/from OPML 2.0,
- downloader with own tab and support for up to 6 parallel downloads,
- message filter with regular expressions,
- feed metadata fetching including icons,
- simple Adblock functionality,
- customized popup notifications,
- Google-based auto-completion for internal web browser location bar,
- ability to cleanup internal message database with various options,
- enhanced feed auto-updating with separate time intervals,
- multiple data backend support,
- SQLite (in-memory DBs too),
- is able to specify target database by its name (MySQL backend),
- “portable” mode support with clever auto-detection,
- feed categorization,
- drap-n-drop for feed list,
- automatic checking for updates,
- ability to discover existing feeds on websites,
- full support of podcasts (both RSS & ATOM),
- ability to backup/restore database or settings,
- fully-featured recycle bin,
- printing of messages and any web pages,
- can be fully controlled via keyboard,
- feed authentication (Digest-MD5, BASIC, NTLM-2),
- handles tons of messages & feeds,
- sweet look & feel,
- fully adjustable toolbars (changeable buttons and style),
- ability to check for updates on all platforms + self-updating on Windows,
- hideable main menu, toolbars and list headers,
- KFeanza-based default icon theme + ability to create your own icon themes,
- fully skinnable user interface + ability to create your own skins,
- “newspaper” view,
- plenty of skins,
- support for “feed://” URI scheme,
- ability to hide list of feeds/categories,
- open-source development model based on GNU GPL license, version 3,
- tabbed interface,
- integrated web browser with adjustable behavior + external browser support,
- internal web browser mouse gestures support,
- desktop integration via tray icon,
- localizations to some languages,
- Qt library is the only dependency,
- open-source development model and friendly author waiting for your feedback,
- no ads, no hidden costs.
RSS Guard 3.8.1 changes:
- RSS Guard on Windows now uses more minimal Qt libraries and this makes installation packages 20% smaller.
- New applications icons. Contributed by Siddharth Yadav:
- @Siddharth_yd (Instagram)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (e-mail)
- Added some documentation related to message filters and some other parts of the application:
- Added icons to buttons in bundled downloader.
- Add switchable action to automatically expand categories when selected.
- Added basic CLI with some basic options, run “rssguard.exe –help” to see them.
- Ability to run multiple instance of RSS Guard at the same time, can be activated via CLI.
- Ability to specify custom user data folder, can be activated via CLI.
- Finnish translation.
- Greatly enhanced user experience for authors of message filters. See the documentation: enums for accepting/rejecting of messages are now directly calleable via their names.
- Handles separating feeds list, messages list and message viewer has now better color in default skin.
- Now only titles of messages are sanitized before they are passed to message filters. Message content is left intact.
- Nextcloud News: Do not use obsolete API endpints. (#292)
- Nextcloud News: Support newest API breaking changes regarding “parent categories”. (#293)
- Partially fixed behavior of statusbar, which did not respect new settings for order of its buttons.
- Use “cout” instead of “wcout” for debugging outputs.
- Do not escape empty strings when sanitizing messages.
RSS Guard 3.8.2 fixes:
- Fixed “reset” notification signal when editing toolbars in settings.
- Fixed Windows build of RSS Guard which was mistakenly using DEBUG libraries.
Download: | | ~70 MB (Open Source)
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at